Sunday 1 November 2020

UNLOCK - NOT LOCKDOWN

LOCKDOWN has to be one of the worst words we are hearing at the moment. It is a tough time for everybody.  One is faced with isolation and little social interaction.  

As an artist, I am used to spending many hours alone in my studio. However, exhibitions are not possible at this present time.  How do we, as artists handle that? 

For many of us , selling a painting means having the money to buy new supplies of paints, brushes etc. Of course, there is always the internet.  This means of selling is almost impossible for folk who are not computer literate. Craft and Christmas Markets are now out of bounds. 

 I have no solution and can only hope and pray that this very invasive Covid 19 virus plays itself out and life can return to normal.

 I do encourage my artist friends to perhaps do a big clean up of their work spaces and art 'cupboards'.  Haul out those coloured pencils, oil pastels or charcoal sticks that have been hibernating for months or even years.  Try a new medium completely away from your comfort zone. You might be UNLOCKING a new talent, you never knew you had.  

 I have been lucky enough to have been given a new commission. It is a very challenging one and involves a painting depicting all four seasons in an unusual format. Fortunately my client does not have a time restriction.  I can play around with composition, colours and imagination.  I will post it when it is completed.  

Wishing all artists creativity and courage to continue exploring despite the difficulties.  Getting really involved in a painting, sculpture, drawing filling up a sketch book or journalling can be very therapeutic .

Thinking especially with comforting thoughts of all those who have been so adversely and sadly affected by the virus. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chammi. I just saw your pug painting on Facebook, and headed over to your blog. As a fellow artist my creative outlet is a lifesaver. I so appreciate your positive outlook. Thank you for that! Val Manchuk

Chammi Kaiser said...

Thanks so much Val. Totally agree about creative art being a lifesaver. Hugs