Monday 9 November 2020

FROG RESCUE

Today I rescued a frog.  What a way to start the day. At the bottom of the window well in our cellar was a little brown frog.  He had almost lost his identity because he was the same colour as the pebbles.  How he managed to fall into the hole is a mystery.   Being round and tubby makes it somewhat difficult to fall through the bars on the surface.  Oh well, we shall just call him Houdini.
 
My husband called the Rescue Squad which consisted of one person,  'Me'! I lifted the frog gently into my hands. He wiggled a little than settled down quietly.  There is a small stream that runs along the bottom of the garden.  I decided to put him on the bank.  He sat there for a while looking somewhat bemused and forlorn.  I tickled him on his little bottom with a blade of grass.  He hopped into the water.  With a prayer for his well being and survival, I watched him swim rather sluggishly away.
 
However, there was one thing that really disappointed me.  He did not turn into a Prince ... or a least my idea of one..... 
 
Nearly one-third of the world's population of ampibians (i.e frogs, toads and salamanders) are either threatened or extinct.
 
What can we do to help?  Do not use pesticides and chemical fertilisers. These kill frogs and the insects they eat. 
 
Leave a pile of leaves and damp wood in a corner of the garden.  Frogs love to shelter beneath nice moist ground cover. 
 
Teach your kids to value the essential part that frogs play in our environment. 
 
And for those of you looking for a Prince or a Princess....Oh! well who knows?!!
 
 
 
We had these little tree frogs in Natal in South Africa. Noisy but cute.


No comments: