Monday 28 June 2021

GARDEN JOY plus HAIKU

 Now before I even begin to wax lyrical about gardens , plants, the birds and the bees,  I must get one thing straight.  I do NOT have green fingers.  Practically every house plant that has ever had the misfortune to have been bought by me, has died a miserable death.  I am also not a botanist and barely know the common names of plants, let alone their botanical ones.  However, I do love gardens whether wild and natural or more formal, the natural being my favourite.  

I now have a lovely little terrace garden with herbs and flowers, a bird bath (self made) and believe it or not nothing is dying on me.  Crossing my not so green fingers!! The herbs are my special joy because there nothing nicer than popping outside and picking your own  for a delicious Mediterranean dish. 

Added to the botanical pleasures are the visiting birds and bees.  I enjoy the funny , fat , little bumble bees who against all aero dynamics are air bound.  There are sparrows, finches, robins and tits who come to the bird feeder (not self made). My favourites are the pair of blackbirds.  He has a shining black coat and a bright yellow beak; a very handsome fellow.  Mrs. Blackbird (or Amsel) as she is known in Germany, is a little less spectacular and in fact rather plain.  She makes up for it by being incredibly bossy and very much the queen in the garden.  When she takes a bath, no other bird is allowed to interfere with her ablutions.  Should a sparrow dare to encroach, she puffs herself up , opens her beak and sends him on his way. She then proceeds to give herself such a vigorous wash with much splashing , that I have to replace the water in the bird bath. I love her.

Sitting quietly and enjoying the colours and shapes of the flowers and the antics of the Mr Amsel digging in the garden, I was inspired to write a short Haiku and do a quick sketch of the various flowers and of course the blackbird.

It was fun and I hope you enjoy it too.



 

WHAT IS A GARDEN
A PLACE OF JOY AND NEW LIFE
PEACE AND HARMONY

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bring the lovely scene so well to mind, Chammi. I, too, enjoy the blackbirds in my garden. They do splash about! I believe they have nested nearby. I have wood pigeons nesting in a column of ivy at the bottom of the garden. I enjoyed the haiku.

Penny said...

I did add my name to the comment above, Chammi, but it didn't appear!

Chammi Kaiser said...

Thanks so much Penny for popping in and leaving such a nice comment. Much appreciated.