Sunday 10 January 2021

OLD TIMER VEHICLES

 Why are old timer cars, buses, motor cycles, and other forms of transport so sought after?   I think it is because they are virtually 'handmade'.  

In today's highly mechanised world robots lift and place large pieces of metal and machinery together transforming them into a vehicle .

When one sees a vintage motor car, one pictures a mechanic dressed in a stained overall.  In his pockets are spanners, screwdrivers and other tools.  He bolts parts together, tightens screws and works on the engine and eventually stands back seeing his work come to life.  Out comes the polishing cloth and he lovingly shines the chrome and lacquer. Before him ready to be sold is a beautiful vehicle.

To me , as a very unmechanical or is it non-mechanical female, my love for old timers lies in their beauty.  I am fascinated by the lovely upholstery, the horn for a hooter, and running boards along the sides.  I love the wood panelling and I once saw a vase for flowers built onto the dashboard.

The beautifully crafted mascots which adorn the bonnets or radiators symbolise  the car company. 

I am no expert and have little idea of the difference between antique, vintage or classic cars.  To me they are simply old timers and they fascinate me.

A Rally took place in our small town of Bad Wörishofen. The owners were dressed in clothing that reflected the the period of the vehicle. Leather suitcases were tied onto the back of some of the cars. 

I spent a fun time with my sketch book. Here are some of my sketches.  Hope you enjoy them.






No comments: