Saturday 16 November 2019

COPING WITH BAD NEWS


Being part of a world which has become so visible through social media and the constant bombardment of news, is sometimes so depressing.  We open our newspapers, turn on the TV check our cell phones and listen to our radios. Our minds are filled with the horror of violence, corruption, crime and of course the mutterings and utterings of unpleasant world leaders!!

How do we counteract this to make our daily lives more pleasant and relaxed? We cannot hide our heads in the sand or put blinkers on.  We can however, look at the happy, funny and good things that we have in our lives.  Simple activities like a walk in the park where tall trees stand that have survived for many years, where birds twitter and a stream gurgles over smooth stones.  One cannot be sad or disturbed when a small dog wags its tail happily or a cuddly cat rubs itself affectionately against one's legs.  There is the joy of a warm plate of food on the table and a comfortable bed at night.  There is also nothing like a good book with a happy ending to make one smile.  Oh, the list is endless and it negates all the bad things.

My joy is being able to sketch and paint.  I turn on some soothing or foot-tapping music and either do a little dance in my studio or settle down quietly in front of my easel or with my sketch book on my desk.  I also spend a lot of time sketching whenever I am out in the open or on holiday.

These are from my sketch book and reflect the joy I have in sketching birds. Their cheerful voices and freedom as they fly from tree to tree or float on the water do my soul good.

























No comments: