Thursday 3 September 2015

CYCLING AND SKETCHING ALONG THE MAIN RIVER - GERMANY

We have just done a wonderful cycle trip along the Main River in Germany.
Nights were spent on a small ship with 10 very cramped cabins.  Each day we would cycle a stretch of the 250 kilometre cycle path.  The ship would steam ahead and we would find it moored at one of the charming villages along the river. This is really the best way to do a week's cycling holiday.  One does not have to cart all one's luggage on the bicycle. A simple meal and a fairly comfortable bed awaits one in the evenings.  There was not a lot of sketching time as we had to meet time deadlines but here are a few I managed to complete.

This was the route we took.
The lovely church steeples on the other side of the river.
.

Our small ship and her trusty Captain.

A rainy day along the river . The shapes of this industrial site fascinated me.

This was a really quaint very old Town Council building. It was higgledy piggledy and totally charming.





SKETCHING TIP : Sometimes there just isn't enough time to colour your sketches.  I always use a pen and never a pencil. You can't rub out pen marks and little mistakes give a drawing more life.  When time is at a limit, I quickly sketch the subject , make some colour notes in the margin with a few remarks as to the light direction, wind, weather and ambience of the place. I then add watercolour when I have time.  This avoids a sense of panic and I relive the moment as I paint the colours.






      












No comments: