Wednesday 30 July 2014

WHEN A PAINTING COMES TOGETHER

I haven't been blogging for a few days.  The reason, I have been painting!!
Sometimes I do my pre-painting sketches and mull over which composition I prefer, whether the tones are okay, etc. etc.  It is a process that drives me a little nutty. Why?  Simply because, I am putting off the actual painting process.  I am sticking in my comfort zone, sketching, popping things into my journal, looking up references and to be honest, PROCRASTINATING!!

Well, I decided to set myself a time limit for this painting.  I had a good idea of what I wanted - tried mixing a few colours on scrap paper, did one preliminary sketch and simply got stuck into the painting.  It flowed from my brush - the colours worked, the brush strokes were free and exciting.  I enjoyed every moment of this work.  At the end I was satisfied , a feeling that is definitely rare in my life.  

I have learned a valuable lesson which I would like to share with you.  Set yourself a time limit and start painting.  You would be amazed at the freedom this gives you.  You don't have time for fiddling and correcting.  So what if it isn't perfect.  You will have enjoyed the process, I promise you and maybe a pleasant surprise at the finish.

Have fun painting.

 

   

                                               FLAMINGO VLEI

2 comments:

Piet said...

This is definitely one of my favourite paintings!

Chammi Kaiser said...

Thanks Pete. It is one of my favourites too.