Saturday 12 July 2014

ONLY GOD CAN MAKE A TREE

When I was a small child, my grandmother would play this song on her piano. It was my grandfather's favourite poem.  He loved trees and his farm reflected that love in the beautiful willow trees he planted along the river.  

I loved those trees and would spend hours reading beneath their drooping boughs.  When it was hot, my cousin and I would use the branches to swing from one side of the river to the other our legs dragging along in the cool water. 

On a recent bicycle trip around the lovely Bodensee in Bavaria, I was enchanted by this old willow.  It reminded me of my childhood and I had to put both poem and sketch in my journal.  Lovely to share that with you.




 TIP :  It's a good idea to sketch trees in winter where one can see the
           underlying structure more easily. 

No comments: